Back in 1925, Miles Ezell was a young newlywed loading milk trucks for the Nashville Pure Milk Company. He and his family lived on a small dairy farm owned by Dr. Cowen. One afternoon, Dr. Cowen approached Ezell to buy his dairy operation. Ezell took the offer, bought a few dozen cows on credit and traded his beloved Ford Coupe for a delivery truck. After that, Ezell’s Dairy was born.
The dairy had a knack for overcoming any setback. Even during the Great Depression, the operation continued to grow. In 1945, Ezell’s farm shut down due to wartime expansion. However, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Ezell was able to secure a loan and merge with Rosebank Dairies – changing their name to Purity Dairies.
Miles Ezell was extremely particular about the quality of his products. In one of many letters to his family, Miles wrote: “In order to succeed: think big, dream, work hard and be honest.” He was a driving force behind many innovative operations and packaging breakthroughs, including vacuum pasteurization, non-wax milk cartons and the famous yellow plastic jug that helps keep Purity products fresh.
Today, in keeping with that entrepreneurial spirit, Purity™ Dairy is owned by a cooperative of passionate farm families and is one of the only remaining dairies in Davidson County, Tenn. Started from one old delivery truck, the dairy now offers more than 100 products throughout Tennessee, Alabama and Kentucky.